Saturday, July 14, 2007

Under Your Umbrella


It's not raining.

Space, sky, sand, the safe place of your mind are what I know of you. Over the years and miles, we never got far enough from somewhere. Buildings, not the sky or sand, were our habitat. Still we were there, walking outside of the places where faces and hands, voices and plans for the future piled high to obscure the view.

We were too young and too curious to choose.

Hardly did we know that we walked a tightrope, that we were pulled, not that we pushed. It was hard like concrete on our softest ideals. We kept them close. Most folks hardly noticed, if they noticed. We were burglars on tiptoe, skirting the curtain watching them leave the auditorium. We didn't know we were players ourselves.

Now as we walk on the sand, with the sky and the space all around. I think of how I've lived under your umbrella always then, always now. Even when I didn't know where you were, you were here in the golden sun holding my hand.



It's not raining -- it never is where you are.


--me strauss Letting me strauss

6 comments:

Cold Cut Ten said...

This is definitely true in regards to some of the wonderful people in my life. :) I am grateful for them.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Blue Sky!
I know the kind of people you know. I'm grateful too. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I linked to your space through *Footsteps in the mirror* and I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog.
I am a newbie to this blogging malarky yet I love it.
I want my writing to stay fresh and increase my readership, so any hints would be helpful! Thanks again for your inspiration. My cyber feet will bring here again. :) xxx

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Anna,
Thank you for the compliment of thinking that I can help. Everyone was a new blogger to start out.

Writers need a clear voice and small audience. Readers who come are what keeps a writer's voice fresh . . . we writer for them.

For help you might visit the New Blogger page at my I've collected a lot of cool stuff there -- some is mine some are jewels I've found. :)

Dr.John said...

You always come up with such great last lines.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Dr. John,
Thank you! I like to bring my thoughts home. :)