Sunday, December 31, 2006

Not Fireworks, Shattered

It's sad what happened in Bangkok.

Darn, darn, darn was the subject of her email. She'd just gotten back from a trip to visit family in the UK. She lives in Bankok in Victoria Square. I got the email this morning to tell me she was all right, despite the bombing. Six nearly simultaneous bombs have gone off during the New Year's Eve celebrations.

She was still awake at 4a.m. her time watching the news. Thank God, she'd been too tired to go out or she'd have been at this bar.

"I heard a loud explosion and I thought it was fireworks. I ran thereand saw a
bleeding woman at the bus stop," Somrak Manphothong, areceptionist at the
Saxophone bar near where one of the earlier bombswent off. "Another guy was
lying on the floor, covered with blood, andhis wife was shaking his body." New Year's Eve Bombs Kill 2 in Bangkok

It was fireworks that the person quoted heard. It was the sound of two lives shattered.

It might have be Muslim terrorist or those wishing to overthrow the traditional power.

A new started with sad, ancient problems.

I'm grateful for many things tonight. Her safety is one of them.

My own is another.
--me strauss Letting me be

2 comments:

dsnake1 said...

it's sad.
it's the common folks who suffered because of some warped thinking.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

It is sad that we make each other suffer when we also have the power to bring each other joy. :)