Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Local Store Is Open Again

When the old country store closed for the summer, we didn’t have any where to go. Yeah, I know he left us the keys. But it’s not the same without Scot around to say, I appreciate you stopping by. His soft voice, his storytelling. They’re just so Scot. You know what I mean.

I stopped by the old store a few times since he left. I wandered through looking around for old friends − a cat hair, a coffee cup, a yellow pad with a pencil and stray word laying around. I read a while, but left no comments. Seemed no point in leaving burden for him when he got there and started unpacking. Scot was coming back, after all. He said so and I believed, because believing in friends is what you do.

This morning the message came in a comment. I heard his voice. My eyes went wide.

Scot is back. I wanted to tell everyone and so I am.
He’s here again. He’s got a job somewhere in Texas.

The local store is open again.

Not that he was missed or anything. I just need some sugar and stuff.
−me strauss Letting me be

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of Scot...

It is nice to be missed.



Take Care
Michael

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Michael,
I would most certainly miss you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Scot for the new situation. There's nothing like change to give us the opportunity to be what we weren't before.

Hope all is well for you, Liz!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Tanda,
Wonderful to see you!'
Great news about Scot. Isn't it. Seems like old times around here.

Anonymous said...

I've only known three other Scot's with one 'T' in the name - so I just assume seeing it spelled that way that it's all about me. (It's always "all about me," isn't it?).

But I couldn't figure out how I owned a store and am now in Texas...

As a child, every Sunday morning my father took me to a local downtown drug store and fountain - when it was closed to the public. The group got together and just chatted, all friends of the owner and where a lot of business knowledge was shared in my small town - and I got ice cream on the house.

They all had keys to get into the drug store and fountain.

Times have changed...

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Scot,
Sorry to confusw. Scot's writer who changed jobs and moved. He's got a lovely blog and writes well as you also do.

Thanks for you comment. Thanks for your memory.

Anonymous said...

Liz,
And to think I was the only one who spelled my name with one "t". But now I know different. The store is almost back to being opened, but it's still going to be a little while before I'm fully operational. I'm staying in a small studio for now, and after a few paychecks, I'll be moving into a more permanent arrangement. Once I do, I'll be hooking back up to a webserver again. In the meantime, I have to rely on the library, which only allots time out in 30 minute increments. I look forward to getting back to our regular exchanges. Our dialogues mean a lot to me.
Scot

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Scot,
I don't mind that the store has summer hours. It's great to know that it's open again. Our dialogues about writing have moved my thinking and my writing forward. I've missed them too.