Friday, March 31, 2006

Circles Spiraling

I walk along the shore looking in the water and all I see is sky—so much sky. Then a cloud comes over and my life feels dreary, dark, and lonely. The water looks murky, not clear and lovely, not like it’s mine anymore. Why’d that cloud take my view from me? What’s that cloud doing in my sky?

My sky. Who am I to own the sky?

I smile. I forgive the cloud, and I forgive me. Then I start over.

I walk along the shore picking up small shells I like. I admire the little ripples on them. They look like small half-circles growing ever wider, almost spiraling outward, growing as they move onward. I have a thought that I could learn from these little shells. I wonder whether I might be growing as I’m moving onward?

I look out over the water. Like my legs go all the way to the ground, the water goes all the way to the sky. I think how my life is like the water, never quite still, seeming clear, but only on the surface. I can see only so far ahead. I think I’m so easy to see through. I bet the water does too. I laugh to think we’re both all wet.

I walk out on the rocks at the question mark pier. I feel like the dot on the question. I feel like the wind that blows over me. I feel like a five-year-old turning circles on the playground. I look down into the water. It’s the clearest I’ve ever seen it. The clouds are showing respect.

I hold a small shell in palm of my hand, running my thumb over the small half-circles. Then I drop it to set it free, to watch it spiraling into the water. For one split second, I’m surprised, then delighted, by the circles that it makes on the surface. I drop another shell, then another, and two more.

All the circles interlace and intertwine. They’re all connected like lace. Somehow it reassures me as they grow wider and wider. I half expect to see them reflected in the sky, when I look up smiling.

I wish them well as they become part of the beautiful lake.

I walk back up the rocks of the question mark. Back to my world where I am still a dot.

My world. Who am I to think it is my world?

I smile. I forgive the world, and I forgive myself.

Then I start moving outward, growing to become part of the universe, like the other stars in our spiral galaxy.

hearttree
—me strauss Letting me be

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,
a very beautiful and thought-provoking piece of work.

>>"I think how my life is like the water, never quite still, seeming clear, but only on the surface." I share the same feelings too.

There is an unseen hand that designs the leaves and shells and skins on this planet. Every line, circle, curve or dot has a purpose.

thanks for the read. :)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Dsnake!
Thank you for coming and for thinking about what I wrote. Yes, I'm finding all of the circles of my life are conveging right now in a very beautiful way. I'm a lucky little girl.

smiles,
Liz

Trée said...

Beautiful piece Liz. I think I'll have another cookie with my tea and read it again.

Have a great weekend. :-)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Cookies! What nice way to round out this story. You are the guy. Thank you again for making my circle grow wider as I grow wiser.

Liz

Anonymous said...

My baby girl/granddaughter believes that the local city park is hers, and I’m not telling her different either, heh heh. Not yet, later.

How the heck do you do that? Write with sheer profundity every time?

"Only on the surface..." (Sheer quality, and you know I mean that.)xxx, Lori, because I'm a huggy old dork and you make me see, and feel.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Lori,

I'm suppose to answer that? I don't you should see what I don't put up here. Most what do is write what I feel in my heart. Then I go back and rix most of the mistakes.

(grin)