Monday, November 21, 2005

The Manuscript

I am the unlined pages, once pristine,
laid on wooden table planks
in decades past when time had yet
to unlock its loving eyes.

I wear the marks of every quill,
and pen, and hand that made its smudge
while pressing meaning on my form.

The young planks that once held me
grew dry then moved apart
turning, firming, deep with living
leaving splinters in the edges
tearing at the backing,
pulling, pushing, waiting,
wearing ages through with feeling
‘til they made such tiny holes
that proved that pages feel no pain.

The dark ink that once told me
grew gray to softer hues
fading, drawing, kind with living
sweet melancholy in the telling
as if a single butterfly,
rising, dancing, falling
sleeping in a winter solstice
‘til night covered it with snow
that meant the fragile have no fear.

I bear the thoughts of every person,
and place, and thing that has breathed
while taking meaning from my soul.

I am the manuscript once dreamed of
laid before you, in progress and unsigned
as time prepares to lock its loving eyes again.
—me strauss Letting me be

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A rich portrayal of a timeless open soul, upon which all life reflects.

beautiful and unique. like you.

I like the unlined page. I neve like lines. my words like to be free to run all over the place!

2:30 AM hugs, David

last night the powder room turned cranberry red. tomorrow the great room turns passionate purple!! (really)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thank you David,

I like unlined pages and lined pages too sometimes.

I loved my house that I painted many colors. It was so alive!
Good on you!
smiles,
liz

Anonymous said...

Someone once wrote something along these lines:

When I'm crying, as much as when I'm laughing, I feel completely alive. It works for me. As a writer, the test of my best work is whether it does more than simply stimulate thought -- it must also provoke emotion.

You provoke both sunny and stormy emotions Liz ...

May your gift spreads like a wildfire all over the pages of the world. Other too deserve to be touched by your kindred spirit ...

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thank Josef,
Your words hearten me at a time when cold winds threaten and my words aren't enough on their own.

smiles,
liz

Anonymous said...

Good Morning.

Give me lines! Yeah I like neat and structured...but I'm never afraid to write perpendicular to the lines when the moment calls for it :)

PS: Was at the book store this weekend. I needed a few new journals since I was filling up my others and I got some REALLY nice ones. The thick heavy pages leather bound...a note book anyone couldn't help but fall in love with. :D

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Jennifer,
Good to have you back.

I love that brand paper feeling. I tell everyone that's why I taught first grade--because you got that new book feeling every six weeks. :)
smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a desk absorbing the written word from the pages pressed down desperately over the years.

Lovely, lovely.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thank you girlzoot,
It's nice to hear from you.
Hope to see you again soeme time.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Breath taking, as always.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Easy,
Thank you.

I wrote that one night while waiting for my son to come home--his airplane was woefully delayed.

I missed him.

smiles,
Liz