Monday, September 05, 2005

Plan B and Dead Horses

What’s your Plan B?

I hear that question, and I hear permission to fail. Somewhere in the words is a secret door that I might squeeze through, if I wake up one morning, deciding that the goal’s not important anymore.

I know that not everything goes as planned, that I need to prepare for the unexpected. But my being can’t start with the premise, not even a whisper, that I’m not going to meet my goal. The thought is confusing and painful.

It’s a paradox—and a fight of logic and emotion. I want to reach for the stars and keep my feet on the ground, but I don’t want to give myself a way out.

So I placate myself by adjusting my goals often to keep them where I can reach when standing on tiptoe.

--------

Dead Horses

And my husband says: “Honey, the horse is dead.”

To which I reply, “Gee, I thought I saw a little twitch there.”
—me strauss Letting me be

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A: sensible
B: Long live the Horse? Or is that a horse of a different colour?...

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thanks for the comments.
Actually, it's usually me that's telling him that the horse is dead, give it up. :)

Anonymous said...

You know that phrase -
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst?
I hate the phrase.
Not that I'm telling people not to carry their medication around, or have insurance, just in case, but I do think we have to focus on the positive rather than the negative (re your previous post).

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Yeah, Melly,
I'm right with you on what you're saying. I do carry my insurance card and my meds. I just don't check that I have them ALL of the time. :)

Anonymous said...

the thin line between reality and pessimism (excuse my spelling) is logic. when one loses focus on logic and feels goals are unreachable that is pessimism and wen goals are discounted on the basis of logical reasonings, it what i feel, is realism... personal opinion though. thanks for dropping in every now and then.

btw: tried mailing you but id not seem to be working...:( any alternatives? heres mine rakshit.doshi@rediffmail.com

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Rakshit doshi
You make a good point that reality sits beside pessimism. I want to keep my eye on reality, but stretch as far as I can. So I need a little optimism too.

smiles,
Liz.

Anonymous said...

a horse dies at the ranch every 10 years or so:(.

in reply to your question on my blog, sure you can use the photograph.

regarding your previous post, i'm a little conflicted right now, about the tangible power of words.

be well,

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

rhein,
To live a long life a horse needs care, not beatings. :) But you know I was using the figurative there. I understand what you mean about being conflicted "right now" about the tangible power of words. I think that words alone can't hold up the world . . . there has to be belief.

me