Saturday, September 17, 2005

I Have a Bloggy Crush

This is not like me. Maybe I've spent too much left-brain time talking about creativity. It would never have happened if sensitive writer me didn’t read Darren Rowse avidly, usually long after I should be sleeping. Darren planted the seed. He had this idea for spreading love around the blogosphere. You can read all about it right here.

The other night, morning really, I thought nothing of this bloggy crush idea. I have crushes on too many people. GoneAway, Ned, and Mark brought the verbal volleyball as soon as my house landed in this cyber-OZ. Lori, Cheryl, and Zilla showed me where the turtle trainers are. Tanda sparkled with Southern charm. Yuna’s village welcomed me. Liz, Jennifer, and Garnet brought insights and sincerity. Rhein, Melly, and Sarah add their thoughts and energy. So many people have done nice things.

But tonight I sat down to write post, to blog a blogger, to thank him for his feedback and his critiques. I stopped cold. I realized I do have a bloggy crush. Not love, respect for the writer and the blog well-written—Scot L. Cunningham and Unburned Pieces of the Mind.

I’m not sure how I found his blog, but I had time and so I read it. Each word I read kept me reading. I was seeing movies in my mind. I was living moments as Scot described them. When he laced up his shoes and walked out the door. I walked out right behind him. I’m sure that’s what my comment said. His writing was a vacation in a place called Belfast, Maine.

Even Scot’s comments read like water, clear and natural. His first comment—even unedited—communicates the core of why his writing is so extraordinary. Please know I tried to edit this down. I wanted it to be about Scot, not about me. There was no way to do it without losing the breadth of Scot’s generosity.

Hello, me-Liz:

I'm beginning to find that having a blog is akin to having a village store. You have the regulars that stop in on a regular basis to get their usual wares and to catch up on anything new. And then there's the new person in town who stops in for a look see. The new person might get a couple of the regulars curious to the point where one asks, "Who's that." To which the reply is, "Don't know, someone passing through I guess." As for my blog, I'm glad you stopped by to have a read and for your kind response. Since you're a newcomer, I decided to check out your blog, and I find I'm very pleasantly surprised with both your content and your craftsmanship. I like personal narratives, especially when they're well written. "Trusting and Believing" reminded me of the many conversations I used to have with my grandmother. Without "Hope" and "Joy," as your essay so eloquently demonstrates, we lose our "connection to humanity." Your last paragraph is especially poignant and makes that connection self-evident without being contrived. Beautifully done. I think I might find myself becoming a regular. As such I have linked your site to mine.

Thanks again for visiting,
Scot

Poignant! Scot used the word poignant in the same sentence with self-evident and contrived. He’s a web writer with a vocabulary. Check out his blog, you’ll keep going back. Scot L. Cunningham is the model of a blogging writer. He understands people and he writes beautifully.

If I ever grow up, I want to be just like he is.
—me strauss Letting me be

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa Liz, you do have a lot of love to spread around. I visited Scot's blog and as I read through his fine writings, I did notice the similarities between yours and his writing styles. Both of you write beautifully and words flow as smooth as water.
I don't know if I can ever write like you guys, but I am just happy to be able to read fine writings you put out there. Blog on Liz!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Yuna,
Thank you, You have been a good and kind friend to me and the 65th Crayon. We welcome you here always.

smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Liz and Scot, blogging in a tree, w-r-i-t-i-n-g!

What a cute idea, and I really did enjoy Scot's writing. Your post, too, as always.

There is just something so appealing about an interesting vocab & a knack for syntax, isn't there? Gets me all flushed and trembly, every time.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Yeah, it really makes ya feel like a writer. (insert pair of pants--pant pant)

Thanks 'zilla I knew I could count on your for laugh. I'm still looking for my other foot.

smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was some letter! I'm still realtively new to the blogging. So I'm still finding blogs and making new friends. I love the Blog Crush idea.

And may I say I always enjoy your posts (it's like an addiction, I come visit at least once a day :) can't help myself).

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Jennifer,
See I only used your first name and you knew it was you.

Thanks for the nice words you're saying. You add so much to the discussion. I hope you feel that way for a very long time.

smiles,
Me-Liz

Anonymous said...

Liz, wonderful idea. I am so glad I know you, through your blog. And through you, others like you.

I've been feeling a little lost in the blog world, belonging neither here nor there. Am I a gay blog, or spiritual, or poetry, or what? Through your comments and your blog, you have helped me get a little closer to finding the core, the reason why I blog.

And Scot's comment sums it up.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Garnet,
Your words mean so much to me.
It feels good, I know to be part of a community and I think the one that is forming around the neighborhood is a fine one indeed.

Scot's words were the first I heard and his metaphor set up my "store" for me. He's a special one. I hope he doesn't mind. I haven't seen him around yet today.

smiles,
Liz.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,
I'm still thinking of my blog crush. Alas, too many of them and so little time.
And now I have to visit all these new blogs you mentioned.
I must say I do find dog1net very interesting.
And thanks for the plug.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Melly,
Good to see that you're taking some time off working so hard to go visiting today.

Thank you for everything.

smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice. I decided straight away that I could not do the Blog Crush thing - too many choices, just too difficult to pick one out of so many. But, had I been forced to choose just one, I think it would have been Scot's blog. Or Another Man's Meat. Or Both Worlds. Or Liz's blog. Aaaarrgghh too many blogs....!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Oh Clive,
We know about your problem making decisions, and we like you despite that little idiosyncracy. It does get taxing when we have to make every little choice for you, but you're worth it. Honestly. :)

Anonymous said...

Will follow your recommendation and go visit his blog.
Thanks for the mention!
Don't forget to comment at Darren's so your crush joins the official list :-D

Anonymous said...

“Out walking in the frozen swamp one grey day,
I paused and said, ‘I will turn back from here.
No, I will go on farther—and we shall see.’” – Robert Frost

Liz:

I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out how to respond to such a sincere, heartfelt tribute to my writing.

Embarrassed? No, not at all. Instead, I feel as if I have been given a hug.

Thank you. In you, Phil and Clive, I feel that we are becoming a community of writers who share a common bond and purpose.

It is good to be here, to draw from the cup of ideas to see what might be made and expressed as we live our lives day by day.

Scot

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hey Cheryl,
Thanks on both counts.
I know you'll enjoy Scot's writing. Read the one about walking with his Grandmother that could be my favorite piece.

Also I forgot I was reading foreign English on the other. So thanks for translating for me

smiles,
Liz

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Scot,
It's my pleasure.

Your words always brighten up the day.

smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Blog Crush meme taps into something under the surface, which I think is intriguing, and there is a mystery there which drags you through all these terrific villagish commentariats ;-)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Josel,

I hadn't really thought of it as a meme, but it is isn't it. I'm sure most who are doing it would be unhappy to think of it that way. I see the mystery of which you speak. I think it is the human kind that calls one to know how one person will talk about another.

Do tell if I am missing something. Your point is most interesting.

smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Some blogs just speak to your soul and what you hear them saying is, "This is home. You are always welcomed here".

Your blog says this to me, Liz. :0)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Tanda,

Thank you so much. That touches me deeply, in ways I cannot explain in words.

Liz

Anonymous said...

I've had the pleasure of working with Scot and he is just as elegant in real life.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi lunar essence,
Wow, you know Scot!
That is so cool. It's lovely to think that he carries that presence in the 3-D world. The world need more of what he is.

Thanks for sharing that.
Smiles,
Liz