Saturday, October 14, 2006

Two Tin Cans

Two tin cans and a string used to be magical. Still I look and I think, maybe they still are. With two cans and a string I have to listen or speak.

We must dance through our conversation. I lead. You follow. I follow. You lead. It ends up a rhythm of give and receive.

Two cans and a string carrying thoughts and laughter.

Two cans and a string turned the corner of my house. We couldn't be more than six feet apart, yet we couldn't see each other. We said we were communicating in outer space. We said we were exploring stars and alien places. I remember feeling like I was listening to you from inside your head. It seemed I could hear your thoughts, each one as it formed. It markedf a special friendship.

Two cans and a string made communication more personal that any cell phone.

It was better than whispering secrets.

−me strauss Letting me be

10 comments:

Trée said...

Liz, we did this with Dixie Cups, the disposal receivers. I guess we weren't as environmentally friendly back then. :-D

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Tree,
It was still a fun and intimate communication. :)

dsnake1 said...

Liz, i remember these!
as a kid, we had hours of fun with these, pretending that we are cops, crooks, boyfriends, or any character that happens to be the flavour of the day.

thanks for bringing back these fun memories. :)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Dsnake,
yeah,memories of these tin cans are really good ones, aren't they/ I'm glad you have them too so that we can share. :)

Anonymous said...

You're so in touch with your inner child - it's lovely.
sarah

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

thank you,Sarah.
My inner kid thanks you too.

Twit said...

good vibes:]

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Great comment. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm remembering how we used to tell secrets through the tin cans. Somehow - maybe because we couldn't see each other - we thought we should share about things we thought no one else had seen or knew. It was like writing in your diary.
What a great photo you chose.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

hi Dawn,
The tin cans were a secret that kids today probably missed out on. What lovely secrets we did share.

Yes, the phono is grand isn't it?