Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Hope and Smiles

There’s something about sleeping next to the ocean that clears my mind and frees me from the world of worries I tend to carry. I woke up early and decided a walk a to visit the water was just what I needed. I took a quick shower, threw on some jeans and a t-shirt, grabbed my journal, and set out for some solitude in the wide open space. It was nice to think about a whole world waiting for me rather than one hanging over my head.

I walked until I found this beach where I could sit back and see nothing but water and a blue sky filled with the most amazing clouds. I sat with my thoughts and watched the clouds go by and listened to myself thinking. The clouds made music for me. I wrote a while in my journal. I walked a while down the beach. I stood a while just breathing in the open. I walked a while longer, pushing my feet into the wet sand like a little kid trying out a new pair of feet.

Just about the time I was thinking I might sit a spell. a sandy-haired young man walked up alongside me. I have no idea where he came from. He introduced himself. I introduced myself as well. He looked to be about my son’s age, maybe a little older. We walked a while down the beach. I told him I had been looking for a place to sit and watch the water. He said he knew a perfect spot and showed me that he did indeed.

We found ourselves talking under a palm tree watching marvelous clouds as they made shapes along the widest sky. We talked of life and things. The young man said he didn’t have a job. I said I didn’t have one either. I asked him where he found his hope. He said he found it in the air, and in the sand, and in the water, and in the faces of people like me who smiled back at him when he smiled at me.

That made me smile.

He asked me where I found hope. I said I found it inside my heart each time I was with someone who made me smile.
I didn’t think I said it out loud. I sure don’t remember saying it. I really think that I only thought it, wished it really. I wanted to find a marker so that I could make my way back to this beautiful, peaceful place where we had talked of hope and smiles.

As I had that thought, he pointed to the sky and smiled. The clouds had made a marker for me.

X marked the spot.
—me strauss Letting me be

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful my friend (hugs)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi mergrl,
Smiles and hope for you my dear friend. We're still in Key West you know.

Trée said...

Add another smile to your list my dear friend. You have that wonderful ability. :-)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hello sunny one,
Smiles and hope from the two of you. How lucky can one girl get?

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you feel that way when you're near the ocean...The gentle breeze and the swaying of the palm leaves to the wind really does the trick for me.

Hope is everywhere. It's just disguised as something sinister.

Anonymous said...

I would sleep next to the ocean every night of my life if I could.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi taorist,
Your message so you. Thank you for your words of hope. They bring me a smile this morning. That and thoughts of your lovely new blogs--hope they're going well too.
Lis

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Patrick,
I can see why. The sound of the ocean is a soothing, peaceful sound that makes it seems as if thw whole world has a heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

Hugs and smiles to you, darlin'.

May the swaying palms and gentle breezes bring you joy every day.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thanks Marti,
Hugs and kisses right back to you. I hope we get to share some swaying palms and sunshine some day.
Liz

Anonymous said...

There is just something si peaceful about the water. I've enjoyed browsing your blog.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thanks Rose,
Peaceful, is exactly what you're supposed to feel when you leave. So I guess I've done my job. Do come back if you need that feelinga gain!
Liz