Friday, April 20, 2007

When the Air Is Smiling That Way

It wasn't a big stick that I used to draw in the sand. Big sticks aren't easy to come by when you're the moving water on a beautiful day. Who thinks of sticks when the sun is shining, and the air is smiling, and a friend is walking just a feet over on a parallel path?

When you have all of the time that you need to STOP whenever you want to take in the view, to feel the sand under your feet, you worry about sticks to move things away. You bend down with your hand and make the shape of your heart in the sand.

You let the waves carry it away, light as a float, soft as the breeze, lovely as the sky that seems to be dancing.

You don't need a big stick on day like that or any day after, because a big stick can't be had on a day when the air is smiling that way.
--me strauss Letting me be

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This morning I find your words soothing, comforting, like the sound of water lapping on the beach. I can feel the grittiness of sand under my feet and the dampness as I trace my heart with my finger. It makes me want to STOP and breathe deeply and take in the view. It makes me want to surrender all that my heart carries and let the waves carry it away.

I never thought about the air smiling. What a great Earth Day thought. Thanks!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Ingrid,
thank you. :)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Dawn,
It is a joyful thought, isn't it? -- to look back in your mind's eye and think of the air smiling. It brings an automatic smile to my face each I do it. It's impossible to think of anything hurtful or mean when I think of the air smiling.

I just want to STOP and breathe, and smile more. :)

Janus Torrell said...

Stop and smell the sea once in a while.

I went to the lake yesterday and just took in the birds, wind, and sunlight.

Talk about therapy.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Janus!
Take me with you the next time you go -- even if I seem to be kicking and screaming . . . know that I want to be with you. :)

Anonymous said...

majestic

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Aw thanks, billy!

dsnake1 said...

hello Liz,
your post reminds me that i need to take a trip to the beach. haven't been there for some months. i like the rush of wind on my face as i cycle along the beach front. yeah, need some of that smiling air. :)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Oh Dsanke,
The smiling air needs your smiling face just as much. Thanks for coming by to see me. :)

Anonymous said...

Your post helped me connect with my inner being. Beautifully written. This probably was what my mind needed this moment.:)Beautiful thought and expression!!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi sean carter,
thank you so much. Your comment did the same for me.

Anonymous said...

I can smell the air, hear the sea gulls, and feel the warm waves at my feet.

Thank you for reminding me to stop what I was doing and remember the basics of life!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi lucid,
Sometimes I have to remind myself to STOP to remember there is a beautiful planet right outside my window to behold. :)