Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Coffee Cup -- A Metaphor

Almost ten years I looked down as I was writing and wondered at my coffee cup how I could take it for granted. I had thoughts of people and how we often doen't see them. We see their purpose and their usefulness, but not them, not their being.

Now ten years later, I make that mistake less. It's not that I've become such a better person. It's that I've slowed my responses. I've changed some of my habits. I try to do one thing at a time. I've learned my manners all over again. Saying, please and thank you, has an affect on how I feel about myself and the person I talk to.

I listen now. I listen. I've learned that magic happens when I listen. That people show me, tell me wonderful things about themselves. It's as if they wait for someone who values what they say and then, they bring out their gifts and give them freely.

I look at my coffee cup. I used to think it was tool. Now I know it holds what I decide -- a magic sweet as life.

--me strauss Letting me be

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the insight that comes with "maturity" great? You must be one of those fortunate people to develop that insight! :-)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thank you, David.
I think that this is definitely a case of "it takes one to know one." Ah, it's nice to be past the knee jerk reactions. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, speak for yourself, Liz!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

I'm laughing now David! :)

Anonymous said...

I've learned that magic happens when I listen.

I believe in the magic you talk about, the way it seems that people wait for someone who values what they say and then bestow their gifts freely. I have been on both ends of that gift, and I know how it makes me feel inside.

I'm glad I didn't get here until tonight, so that tomorrow when I pour that first early morning coffee, I can remember to listen for the magic. Thanks, Liz.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Magic does happen when we listen. It's the magic of two souls talking. . . .

Michael said...

cool outlook.

Take Care
Michael

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Michael,
My day and my coffee always seem sweeter when your picture appears in my comment section. :)