Thursday, August 10, 2006

Business Meetings

I have always assumed that I'm supposed to like the people that I work with and the people I work for. It has had an amazing impact on my behavior. I really had no idea. In the strangest way that hidden assumption has lead to approval seeking actions.

It never crossed my mind that people might be operating on a premise other than that.

Until this morning. This morning, while considering a meeting I had, I thought of whether the person liked me and then, I thought it really didn't matter. The project was scheduled. This was the call I'd asked for to get his opening input. I'd ask the questions to get the information I needed.

Suddenly a wealth, a flood of knowledge, came washing over me. No wonder I had trouble beginning new business relationships. That's what I should have been doing all along, talking
business plain and simple, direct.

It was an interesting fruitful conversation. I’m a little stunned at how professional I felt.

I had been getting in my own way all of these years. What the heck had I been thinking?

−me strauss Letting me be

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Hand flies over gaping mouth in shocked amazement)

LOL

I can't imagine anyone NOT liking you! But if this new attitude (oh dear now I'm going to have Patti LaBelle trapped inside my head LOL) is working better for you, more power to you darlin'!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Oh Marti,
I have this lovely picture of you with Patti LaBelle inside your head. It's wonderful!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I am horrible at meetings. I am too social and I never get anything done. When I drive to Galena to meet with my business partner for a weekend every three months it's usually about 10 pm on Sunday the night I leave that we work. The rest of the time is just catching up

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Janus
I understand completely. It's hard for me too. I think some of it's too much stimulation combined with too much self-consciousness. I have trouble just getting to business.

Anonymous said...

A conditioned response in most of us I think (seeking approval)- We don't want "them" thinking bad things about us! - Ultimtately though - does it really make any difference? :-)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Derek,
Exactly. The sad part is that all of this time, I wasn't really aware of this subconscious thinking that was driving my actions. I thought it was just my weird personality . . .