Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Beach Horses


They say this is a private beach. I’m not supposed to be here. Yet I’m here and not bothering anything and nothing’s bothering me either. It seems the beach and I’ve agreed to share our privacy for now. I don’t want to disturb it and don’t want it disturbing me. I don’t believe in private beaches anyway. That’s such a stupid human rule. Perhaps the beach agrees or maybe doesn’t believe in me. Whatever the case may be, it’s working—probably because I’m up on this bluff hidden by a jacaranda tree in bloom, and the beach is down there attending to the ocean where any self-respecting beach should be.

I sit up on the hill and watch the beach. The water moves so lazily, pulsing in and out without a thought to whether someone owns the beach, to whether there’s a me, to whether anyone or everyone is there to see it moving in and out with all the grace creation gave it. I like the unselfconscious of nature. Sometimes I sit and try to breathe it in. Sometimes I just observe as I would a fine piece of art.

Off from the left four horses come. Who’s horses might these be? Don’t they know this is a private beach? Apparently they have some sort of special dispensation. They move like royalty—head high, walk smooth, the look falling down the nose. They are elegant in every pose. I can’t take my eyes away from them. Even the sky cannot compete with the way they fit the rhythm of the sea so naturally and at the same time hold their identity—each one separate, yet four horses there together.

Some people say that horses are dumb. Yet few folks I know can do so artfully, what I have seen theses horses do, be themselves and be in tune with everything around them.

I leaned back against that tree and watched the beach horses for the thirty minutes or so that they were there. Then I picked up my leather journal and my favorite pen. I opened a new bottle of water and began to write all that I learned that Saturday morning, watching beach horses on the private beach where I wasn’t suppose to be.

I went back the next week with four apples for my teachers. My teachers obviously felt no obligation to return. I ate the apples in their honor as I wrote in my journal.

The beach and I still agree to share our privacy for now.
—me strauss Letting me be

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful Liz, just wonderful


(hugs)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hello mergrl,
Thank you.
Sorry I wasn't here when you came by. I like seeing you.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Beaches, Horses, guitars and deep thoughts...oh girl, someday we have got to meet and strum a few bars together.

Maybe we could host an oceanside blogger clambake.

LOL

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Kelley
That would be such fun,
You have to do the clam digging though.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Good Morning~

Don't tell anyone but I think I'm going to join you on that private beach...or in the middle of a forest or up in the trees, or down by a stream or maybe out in the field where I can find deers roaming...

:)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Jennifer,
You pick the place. You'll find me there. :)
Liz

Anonymous said...

good morning Liz :0)

missed you too, I look forward to our little nightly get togethers :0)

your place is always my last stop before sleep, and you always seem to have something special waiting for me (hugs)

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi mergrl,
Good to see you today!
The horses are still here for you.
smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Once I took time off from work and lived in Montana for a few months, in the middle of Nowhere. I used to watch the wild horses, so I know of what you speak. They used to allow me to walk right up to them and pet them. From the natives there, I found out this was unheard of. I knew that the horses knew where I was coming from; there was no reason for them to bolt.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Betty,
I would imagine the wild horses, would know you. You and they have a lot in common, I think.
smiles,
Liz

Anonymous said...

excellent ....

May Peace
Hope and Love
be with you
Today
Tomorrow
and Always

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays !

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thank you, Avik
May your holidays reflect all of the joy and happiness that the world holds for you everywhere you go.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't get me started on private beaches.
You seemed to be quite happy there despite it though, so that's good :)

Say hi to the horsys next time... from me...

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hi Melly,
I see we agree on private beaches.
Well, it's not the beaches fault.
or the horses for that matter.
:)
I'll say hi to the horses for you.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Liz. My wife loves horses and will love reading this post.

Mark Daniels

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Thank you, Mark.
I will love having your wife stop by as a reader. Tell her to say hello.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Hey just wanted to say Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays--I'm awful at being politically correct :)

Anyway have a great holiday!

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Hey Jennifer,
Thank you,
I'm on my husband's computer today, while my own is misbehaving.
Have a great time!
Liz